What is Customized Employment?
Customized employment is a flexible process designed to personalize the employment relationship between a job candidate and an employer in a way that meets the needs of both.
It is based on an individualized match between the strengths, conditions, and interests of a job candidate and the identified business needs of an employer.
Customized Employment utilizes an individualized approach to employment planning and job development-one person at a time and one employer at a time.
-Source: United States Department of Labor
The 4 Steps in Customized Employment
- Discovery - Discovery is the process of getting to know an individual's interests and abilities
- Skill Building - SOC works with the consumer to continue building and maintaining skills through: Nutrition Classes, Job Exploration, Mobile Work Crews, On-site discovery curriculum, On-site and Community-Based Prevocational Services
- Job Match and Analysis - The employment specialist assists individuals in locating and securing community employment within their interests, abilities, and/or expertise. Individuals receive support with:
- employment search
- building a resumé
- completing job applications
- preparing for job interviewing.
- Ongoing Support & Customization - Once employment is obtained specialized long-term job coaching will be provided. Trained staff will be on-site with an individual to provide initial training and follow-up support as needed.
- Answering questions
- Helping to understand procedures
- Assisting in all training necessary
- Checking in periodically